MY PROBLEM WITH SIZING



I've not spoken much about the problems within the fashion industry, but once you start looking, they're not difficult to find. Lack of diversity in models being a huge one, and sizing being another, just to name 2 of many. As a midsize (size 14) girl, I have definitely found that literally every single brand has a different size guide, but to me, sizing should be universal? Surely I should be a size 14 everywhere and every size 14 top should fit me? Unfortunately not. I have a bodycon dress in my wardrobe that is a size 10 that fits perfectly, but I also have a top that fits perfectly, except that one is a size 18. It makes no sense, and if I'm being honest- it's quite infuriating when you're shopping or make an online order and nothing fits the same.

I have teamed up with a great group of bloggers to spread #TheBodyPosiProject to try and spread a bit of body positivity and let you know that you are not alone in your frustrations with fashion! You can read a better introduction to this project here.

I have a problem with brands. Brands such as Bershka, Stradavarious, H&M, Pull&Bear, and Zara (to name a few) where their sizing is labelled S, M, and L, but their L is a size 12?!?! ON WHAT PLANET IS SIZE 12 CLASSED AS LARGE?
Not only can this be quite damaging and sad for girls that are size 12 who are now led to believe that they are "large", but it also excludes thousands of women from shopping with them as "Around 45% of British women are size 16 or above"

Brands also seem to think that "One Size Fits All" is true. Well it isn't. The picture below shows 4 women- all of them are a size 16. A standard size 16 in shops just won't fit all of these women correctly. This needs to change. I am so used to my trousers looking like they're 3-quarter-length because I am 5 foot 8 and one size does not fit all!


Young girls just starting to get into fashion can be hit extremely hard by this. Especially if they aren't the size the fashion industry expects her to be. It can lead to such unhealthy habits like dangerous diets or even eating disorders. Which was one of the main reasons to kickstart #TheBodyPosiProject

We want everyone to know that whatever that number or letter on the label, that doesn't make you any more or less valuable than the next girl, and fashion can be so expressive and fun if you're not torn down by the industry's expectations- something I learnt the hard way.

I would also like to list some brands with, in my opinion, quite "true to size" clothes:

1. Collusion on Asos
2. Missguided
3. New Look

I was also going to include Monki in the list as I find their sizing quite accurate, but they don't really go beyond a size 14 so it isn't all that inclusive.

So that is my problem with sizing. There are so many other issues with the clothing/ fashion industry that I haven't even scraped the surface in this post, but I hope it has given you an insight at least on the struggles that so many girls and women face on a daily basis- and don't even get me started on when I bloat because LORD not a single item of clothing will look good!

Please get involved as much as you can, whoever you may be, on #TheBodyPosiProject to let everyone know that they aren't alone!

Also if you'd like to talk about anything at all, feel free to reach out to me over on my Instagram

Love always,




Popular Posts