SUPPORT SMALL #2 : FOOD

Hello! I am so excited for this segment of my "Support Small" series because it is all about food! Before I started this blog, I presumed that small food businesses were only places like independent coffee shops and cafes, similar to where I work (Paws Cat Cafe) but since beginning this, with the help of my Instagram, I have discovered so many woonderful small businesses that rely a lot on online orders and make amazing creations from the comfort of their own kitchen. I thought it was especially important to shine a light to these businesses because it may not cross peoples' minds to get a pick'n'mix when you're not at the cinema or get an impressive birthday cake for no party.

Bake Box UK


If you fancy yourself a bit of a baker in lockdown but in reality you don't know the difference between beating, whisking, folding, and creaming, then Bake Box is definitely for you!

For £18 a month you can get a baking subscription box giving you all the pre-weighed dry ingredients and any extras you may need (vanilla extract, cookie cutters, piping bags etc.) to make impressive bakes that no one would guess you kind of cheated on!



I have made custard creams, and a chocolate truffle cake so far- the box with the custard creams in also has the right ingredients to make bourbon biscuits too but I made over 20 custard creams so we are still trying to work our way through those so I don't bombard my household with food!

The chocolate truffle cake I made for my dads birthday; I particularly loved the gold leaf decoration they added in- and the cake itself went down a treat so no complaints here! Granted, mine is very messy- I am yet to master this baking and decorating thing but Bake Box definitely helps.

I'm already excited to see what I'll be making next month!


Sweet Sisters


These gals are local to me in Surrey, but they are able to post their pick'n'mix boxes anywhere in the country!

I ordered the random 1k box, and it came with so many variations of sweets, including ones you don't usually see in pick'n'mixes like refreshers and maoam's (That always looks like it's spelled wrong to me!) We ordered around the 5th June, and opted for local delivery which were hand delivered the next day! And, they're still going- we haven't got many left mind, but 3 weeks later we're still munching on the same box!

I love that they do customisable/ gift options too, beautifully presented in glass jars or mugs to send to a loved one. Or if you're vegan (or just a bit picky with your sweets) you can also choose which exact sweets go into your box and which you want to leave out.


Sweet Sophie's Cakes


Now, this small business is owned by a lovely lady named Charlotte (her middle name is Sophie- hence the business name) who can pretty much do whatever you want from a cake or biscuit to perfection!

She made these gorgeous layered shortbread biscuits for my mum's birthday, but her creations go all the way up to bespoke wedding cakes and everything in between!

I've known Charlotte for years now and I never knew until recently how talented she was!

Again, she is local to me in Surrey so I definitely recommend if you're in the Surrey area, and even if you're a bit further afield it is definitely worth the journey!


I hope you enjoyed this one, and let me know if you get any treats from who I have mentioned!

Always feel free to let me know of any other small businesses of all kinds over on my Instagram, and I will do my best to spread the small biz love. And please please please keep supporting small businesses during this lockdown and forever- they need you more than Primark ever will!

Stay safe and love always,





Popular Posts